Happy Almost-Valentine’s Day, queers!
This month may be a bit stressful for some. I know for me I’m sent into a panic around plans, where should we go? Do we have wine? What’s her favorite color again? I sure hope they like dark chocolate. Let me make it a little easier for you. Here are a few events to help you swoon your new lover, lovers, best friend, pal-entine, gal-entine, etc. Enjoy!
1. Fact: Queers love crafts. Cross stitch, bath bombs, dried flowers and of course drinks and pierogies. Also, the Humane Society is bringing four legged fluffy friends. Your QT won’t be able to help but fall in love with you when you’re snuggling fur friends.
21+ | $15-$20
2. Single and ready to mingle? Draw in some cute lezzys with your best karaoke tune. There’s no cover, but you pay to sing, and can pay a few bucks more to make someone stop. Should be great time! Also, it’s at Crystal’s on Penn Ave, a queer owned bar that deserves some recognition for their hummus.
21+ | No Cover
3. Blind them with Science!! I mean, seduce… seduce your love with science. Here’s why I’m most interested in this event, there’s going to be a ” large-scale simulation where guests ‘swap fluids’ to simulate the spread of disease.”… WHAT?! Weird, and I’m so into it. There’s also speed dating, condom testing, a discussion about kink and of course, drinks.
21+ | $12 in advance and $17 at the door.
4. For those youths looking for a free way to spend their Valentine’s Day, join PERSAD for music, dancing, crafts and chill time with other queer youth.
Youth | FREE
5. Princess Jafar always brings us brilliant queer entertainment. This show is going to be everything. Performers include *SWOON* Brittney Chantele, Dani Janae, The Moon Baby, DJ Poodle Emoji, Gia Fagnelli, Kiera Zee, Dave English, Princess Jafar, and Live from the City. Basically all your favorite local queer performers in one room. OMG OMG OMG.
$10 recommended donation
6. The Mad Muse turns her regularly schedule art shindig into an V-Day love affair. Bring art to work on or start something new, maybe some Valentine’s cards or hate mail–your choice. Bring you boo and get creative together.
21+ | FREE
7. The Lovely Lola LaCroix is teaming up with City Paper, Hard Rock Cafe, and Chase and the Barons to raise money for Planned Parenthood. This means you can put your valentine dollars to good use! Possibly the best part is, they’re having cheeky underwear decorating! I wondering if they would let me decorate the underwear I show up in? I guess we’ll find out.
21+ | $5 online & $10 at the door
7. I’ll be honest, I pulled this one because cause it has the greatest worst romance of Parks N’ Rec history. Also, this nod to 50 Shades of Grey makes me giggle. IN ADDITION, you buy two tickets at a time and get to make a hefty load of crafts for one evening, including candles, leather work, coasters, jewelry and drinks.
$120 per pair
8. Go all Patrick Swayze from Ghost on your valentine date! I’m assuming it will be JUST like the movie, if not better. There WILL BE wine.
$75 pair / $45 person
9. More Made Muse here for you! This would be the perfect date for some of you more demented lovebirds. Tickets get you dinner, drinks, and a killer show. No really, it’s a show about a trunk full of dead bodies.
$100 per couple EARLY REG – $150 Reg
10. Last year this “properly legit rave” sold out! Go hard with stacked bass, live graffiti, and insane visuals. I’m not sure what all this means, but I’m so ready for it.
18+ | $20 at door
I hope some of these events inspired you to get into the Valentine’s Day spirit! It might be a cheesy holiday but sweets, cards, and good people make everything better. Now excuse me, I have some very important heart hats to make.